This takes as long as it takes to make rice and peas. Which is to say as long as it takes to boil some long grain rice. Not long. At all. Serves 4 - and by all means grab prepared mango and pomegranate lines rather than doing the hard prep work yourself. Ideal for a healthy mid-week feed where things are too hectic to cook.
- Hurricane Chicken x 2 fillets
- Pea shoots x 1 bag
- Coriander bunch, small, leaves only
- Mango, cubed, 150g
- Pomegranate Seeds, 100g
- Walnut Oil - 40ml
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 40ml
- White Wine Vinegar - 40ml
- Mayonnaise - a heaped teaspoon
- Apple Juice - 40ml
- Salt and pepper
RICE AND PEAS
- Onion, chopped, x 1 or Spring Onions, sliced, x 5
- Vegetable Oil, 50ml
- 250g Long Grain Rice
- 350ml Water
- 350ml Coconut Milk
- 400g Black Eyed Beans or Gungo (Pigeon) Peas or Kidney Beans, rinsed
- Thyme, 3 tbsp, chopped
1. Get rice and peas underway - fry onion or spring onions slowly till soft
2. Stir in rice and mix onion in well. Add coconut milk and water and bring to boil
3. Add the beans and thyme. Simmer, covered till rice is cooked, then season - this should take about 15 mins
4. While rice and peas are cooking, slice Hurricane Chicken fillets to about the thickness of a £1 coin and throw into a big salad bowl together with all the other salad ingredients
5. Whisk together all the vinaigrette components adding salt and pepper to taste. If too claggy, loosen with a bit more oil but the dressing should dress, rather than drown, the salad, so go easy. Add to salad and mix thoroughly - by hand is best.
6. When rice is cooked. turn off heat. Place a sheet of kitchen roll under lid and let sit for 5 mins to absorb much of the remaining steam from the rice.
Serve and enjoy!